Thursday, October 11, 2007

Funeral Blues

This week, we started out by reading love poems. Reading the various poems assigned helped me to see the different types of love. At first, I just thought we would be reading poems with rhyming couplets about perfect love. However, to my surprise, the majority of the poems were imperfect in that they had sad endings.
Reading various love poems helped me to identify different types of love. The love I expected was portrayed in John Donne's "The Good-Morrow." The poem didn't have rhyming couplets and terrible forced rhythm like some pop songs today share, but it was a well-written poem that could've been a monologue. It was aimed directly at a lucky lady and the poem was filled of what I'll call happy love. However, some of the other poems portrayed different types of love.
By reading "Funeral Blues" by W.H. Auden, I discovered love through death. I'm sure most can relate to this type of love. The love you feel when you lose someone who was already really close. This love is sad, it's angry, it's painful and it's confused, but it's still love. Similar to the love experienced through death is the love expressed in "The River-Merchant's Wife: A Letter" by Ezra Pound.
In "The River-Merchant's Wife: A Letter" by Ezra Pound, I discovered what I'll call love through loss. This love is the feeling you get when you miss someone who you really care about and would give anything to have her back. You can either be missing her because she has left for a long time and you don't know when she'll be back, or because she has passed away and you wish that she could be back (similar to Auden's poem).
After looking carefully at each of the poems, imperfect love started to make sense. This is because sadness, loss, death and pain are all real and they're common. It's rare for someone to find a spouse that he has loved and end up marrying her. If it does happen, it doesn't always end such a happy ending. This is because someone will leave (either by choice or because it's his time) and love will amplify the sadness that the survivor feels. I'll stop there with all my depressing words and ask you (whoever you may be) a question. What do you think about love? Is it better to find love and later feel pain of loss, or to be alone and safe from the pain that might come?
Have a nice day :)

No comments: